NEXT AUDITION WILL BE IN SPRING 2022
Musical Theater Center and Once Upon a Ballet are sister performance art companies. MTC is our non-profit organization that produces musicals through our Troupes, and Once Upon a Ballet trains students ages 2-18 years in Ballet, Acting, Musical Theater, and more! We are an award-winning program that provides professional training for students in singing, acting and dancing while also producing several full-scale musicals a year with casts made up entirely of kids and teens. Musicals produced by kids, FOR kids (and the whole family!)
3 levels of troupe: Players, Jr. Company, Sr. Company
- Each Troupe is dedicated to the growth of each individual child as they train in musical theater. They each have a different level of expectations and training requirements.
- Placement in a troupe is based on several factors: Skill level and/or natural potential in acting, dancing and singing, as well as age/grade level, social maturity, attendance in technique classes and rehearsals, and overall positive contribution to the studio environment
Age limits are designed for optimal growth for the group and the individuals that participate. These limits are subject to change at any moment depending on the participation for a given season.
Being eligible for the Troupe does NOT mean they will be placed into that Troupe
Players: Rising 1st-7th grade
Jr. Company: Rising 4th-9th grade
Sr. Company: Rising 8th-12th grade
Yearly commitment to troupe
- If they accept their spot in Troupe, they need to honor their commitment and attend all rehearsals for the entire 2021-2022 season.
- All weekly rehearsals, tech week rehearsals and performances are 100% mandatory, as well as additional weekend rehearsals.
- Troupe members are expected to participate in the full academic year.
- If a student drops out mid-year, the family is still expected to pay the full year tuition, and we do not offer refunds.
- MTC reserves the right to remove a student, with or without probation, from Troupe and/or their role if they do not follow the policies and rules detailed in the Troupe Manual given out at the beginning of the school year.
Steps to Get into Troupe
- Audition: There is limited space, students who don’t make it into Troupe will be added to a waitlist, and are encouraged to try again next year and train in our workshops and dance classes!
- Get accepted: Acceptance emails will be sent within a week of their audition.
- Acceptance: Your acceptance is only official when you have paid at least half of your production fee at time of acceptance, and you have turned in all your paperwork that is emailed upon acceptance.
- There is a limited number of need-based scholarships (partial and full) available.
- Applications are sent upon request, and the MTC Non-Profit 501(c)3 Board will determine the amount of each scholarship.
- Recipients of scholarships must be fully committed to participating in the FULL year of Troupe, including all trips (cost not included in tuition) and performances.
Troupe Payments and what it includes
- Players: 11 payments of $263 (starting in July)
- $2890 total or $2601 if you paid in full by check by July 1st [10% off]
- Includes 1 weekly rehearsal, 1 Ballet class and 1 musical theater/rehearsal technique class.
- A $215 production fee – $50 due upon acceptance, $165 due Aug 1st
- Jr. Company: 11 payments of $383 (starting in July)
- $4210 total or $3789 if you paid in full by check by July 1st [10% off]
- Includes 2 weekly rehearsals and other rehearsals, 1 Ballet class, 1 Jazz class, 2 elective classes
- Adding on an additional technique class is recommended.
- A $265 production fee- $50 due upon acceptance, $215 due Aug 1st
- Sr. Company: 11 payments of $445 (starting in July)
- $4900 total or $4410 if you paid in full by check by July 1st [10% off]
- Includes 2 weekly rehearsals, additional rehearsals, mandatory weekly Jazz and Ballet classes, as well as unlimited additional weekly classes.
- A $250 production fee- $50 due upon acceptance, $200 due Aug 1st
MTC is a non-profit: we thrive from the help of volunteers and donors
- Hours required: Players- 14 hours or $350 fee, Jr. Company & Sr. Company 16 hours or $400 fee
- One parent from each family is required to help with the striking of one set per year.
The audition info…
Before the Auditions
- Send us a link or the track to the song you will be singing, and the time the student will begin singing.
- Prepare what is required for each age group (listed on the chart below)
- You will sing your song in front of judges
- Have your slate ready “Name, age, and rising grade” (Hello my name is Jane Doe and I am 17 years old and a rising senior in high school)
- Learn a short dance combination and present it with a small group of students
Wear: dressed to dance.
- Girls: leotard and jazz pants, with jazz shoes. Boys: plain t-shirt, jazz pants, and jazz shoes.
- Hair up in a polished bun. If too short, to go into a bun, pin off their face (boys, too).
- No jewelry
How to Prepare for each age group —— Click here for Monologue Samples:
- Memorize a one-minute monologue from scripts, monologue books, or Google
- 30 seconds to 1 minute cut of any musical theater song with sheet music provided that states “start” and “end”. They need to provide properly marked sheet music in the correct key and provide the tempo for the accompanist.
- Memorize a 30-second monologue found in scripts, monologue books, or Google
- 30 seconds to 1 min cut of any musical theater song (not pop tune)- Please find a karaoke track without vocals
- Need to prepare ONE selection LISTED HERE
- Practice as often as possible with the music without vocals. Memorize the lyrics and practice the way they will present the song (without the vocal track)